Product Design Lead at Wefunder
San Francisco, CA, US
We're the largest funding platform that helps normal people make investments in startups they love. Over the past few years, we've helped fund over 900 startups with $450M+ including flying cars, space rockets, breweries, Hollywood studios, and cancer cures.
Wefunder's Story 🗻 https://wefunder.com/wefunder
Our Public Benefit Corp Mission 🎙 https://wefunder.com/charter
🗻 Please note that this position is based in San Francisco / the Bay Area. We are happy to support relocation.
You'll work directly with the CEO to lead design across the company. We grew investment volume 4x y-o-y in 2021, are the market leader in helping startups raise from their communities, and are about to launch in Europe.
The challenge is the modernization of Wefunder. Most of our website was jury-rigged together while under tremendous stress. We now have the resources to fix this. We want to completely overhaul every single user-facing web page, one by one, with a new design system, fixing our most horrendous UX problems. Since we're small, you'll wear many hats. You’ll probably want to roll up your sleeves and create Figma mockups yourself, then iterate with the engineering team until deployed to production. Our promise is that you will find the necessary resources and autonomy to create an excellent UX and help us fulfill our mission.
Once we are on track to do that, we get to focus more on what happens after the company is funded. How can we connect founders with more help and mentorship when they need it? Can investors feel more "behind the scenes" and emotionally invested? Can investing in ideas they support be part of their identity like it is in Silicon Valley? Can we educate the hundreds of thousands of new investors better?
Our Dream Candidate
We don't care too much about experience. You should probably have at least a few years, but beyond that, we care more about your work. Our ideal candidate has a head start on grokking our users: They've either founded a company, worked with a founding team, or have invested in a startup. While not a requirement, this will help reduce the learning curve. We also need someone very good at simplifying complexity. Unfortunately, the law is complicated: Often, a web page might have more than a dozen variations for different types of users and companies for legal reasons. You'll need an engineering-like brain to keep track of these details. But you'll also need empathy to understand our users.
- You err towards minimalism and simplicity. We admire Airbnb, for instance.
- You have a critical eye for detail.
- You can code up some CSS and HTML in a pinch and submit to a git repository. We don't expect amazing engineering skills but believe that designers who understand the medium are better at their jobs.
- You are interested in improving your front-end coding chops.
- You naturally design for responsive layouts.
- You can get inside the head of our users: both founders and investors.
- You won't sacrifice our user experience to pump up short-term metrics. You agree the long-term is more important.
- You understand when to A/B test... and when to guard the soul of the product.
- Implement a complete visual overhaul: A consistent design system, typography, colors, React components, etc. We've been growing too fast and have a lot of design debt.
- Work with our support team to design solutions to common issues.
- Talk to hundreds of investors and founders until you grok them.
- Lead new projects. Create detailed Figma mockups and then work with engineers iteratively until deployed to production. Monitor in production, talk to users, measure data, and iterate again. Brownie points if you prefer HTML mockups.
- Be a resource to engineers when they need design help with whatever they are working on. Every engineer should have autonomy to contribute to the product.
- Screen product suggestions from the team and suggest UX improvements.
- Market-rate salaries and stock options.
- Unlimited vacation days with no less than 3 weeks off.
- All-expense-paid Wefunder vacation once a year.
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Apple equipment. Whatever you want.
- Lots of free food and drinks. That includes daily lunch and weekly team dinners.
- Classes & conferences. If you can learn something useful, we'll pay for it.
Want to help? Join us! We're a team of founder types: Enjoy autonomy, responsibility, the opportunity to learn, and no red tape. Just make it happen.
To apply, email email@example.com or apply below with why you'd like to work with us. Brownie points: Include a survival skill you'd offer the team in a post-apocalyptic world.