Senior Backend Engineer at Wefunder
San Francisco, CA, US
Wefunder is the largest funding platform connecting founders with their community. Over the past few years, we've helped fund over 900 pre-IPO startups with $450M+, from early-stage moonshots to unicorns.
Wefunder's Story 💡 https://wefunder.com/wefunder
Our Public Benefit Corp Mission 🎙 https://wefunder.com/charter
🗻 This position is based in San Francisco / the Bay Area. You don’t have to commute every day and we value flexibility. Still: We love the opportunity to collaborate in person while we are still a small, ambitious team. Do you live outside of the city but would be willing to move? We are happy to help you relocate!
Engineering at Wefunder
Last year, investment volume on Wefunder quadrupled. Our team grew from 6 to 20 engineers across small, cross-functional pods that each have ownership over a part of the founder & investor journey. We’re a full-stack startup; our goal is to stay lean and flexible. There's no red tape. It's a small team, and we move fast.
Our mission is to make fundraising easy and engaging. For example, we have built our own money management tools to handle $70M investments from 85k transactions and worked out compliance with securities regulations. We are building communityround.com to give fans a platform to petition companies they love and are working on our own version of Mattermark to help identify relevant suggestions from thousands of companies.
This ad goes out to experienced Backend Engineers who want to work on a meaningful product and have a lasting positive impact on founders who deserve to take their shot. To those who want to build on their tech and people leadership skills through developing others in a small team.
- ✨ Your mission will be to ensure the long-term scalability of our backend. We’re a Ruby on Rails shop.
- 🌿 You’ll shape our engineering culture, dig into the code base, and help us reduce technical debt.
- 👨👩👧👧 You’ll also join a small, mission-oriented pod and collaborate on features that make fundraising easier and more engaging.
- 📚 You keep challenging yourself to learn and grow while also helping others along the way.
Skills & Experience
- If you feel like you don't meet all of the points below, we encourage you to apply anyways. We don't want a confidence gap and imposter syndrome to get in the way of meeting incredible candidates. 🦄
- Deep expertise in at least one backend web development framework and with relational SQL databases.
- Experience with products at significant scale, involving 100k/1m/10m/100m/1b transactions.
- Keen sense for how to increase and maintain code quality through healthy engineering principles, coupled with an ability to get the team on board.
- Motivation to share your knowledge, mentor peers, and grow the team, whether through code reviews, pair programming, learning sessions, or interviews.
- Ability to deal with the chaos and ambiguity of a startup. Things change, and surprises happen. There will be uncertainties.
- Passionate about our mission & working in a diverse, hands-on environment.
- Unlimited vacation days with no less than 3 weeks off.
- All-expense-paid Wefunder vacation once a year.
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Whatever equipment you want.
- Lots of free food and drinks. That includes daily lunch and weekly team dinners.
- Classes & conferences. If you can learn something useful, we'll pay for it.